Permits and Licenses


To ensure the safe and orderly development of the Town of Milk River, the Town of Milk River’s Development Officer administers the municipal Land Use Bylaw. The Development Officer also handles development permit applications and questions, with the assistance of the Oldman River Regional Services Commission (ORRSC). As well, the Town contracts the services of Park Enterprises Ltd. for all safety codes permitting (e.g. Building permits, Plumbing permits, Gas permits and Electrical permits).

Plumbing Permit Application

Building Permit Application

Gas Permit Application Electrical

Permit Application


The Municipality requires Development Permits for most development, which can be applied for at Town Hall. You must have a development permit prior to commencing development. Please note that you may require additional permits (e.g. Building, Plumbing, Gas, Electrical) for your development, and these permits may be applied for through Park Enterprises Ltd. at 1-800-621-5440. The Town’s Development Officer will be happy to assist you in determining what your project will require.

Why are permits necessary?

  1. You are ensuring any construction you do complies with the Building Code.  Inspections are conducted.
  2. Neighbors are ensured enjoyment of their property is not interfered with.
  3. You reduce problems with compliance issues when you sell your property.

General guidelines for determining when a development permit is not required are according to the Town Land Use By-Law, and are as follows:

Development Permits are not required to:

  • construct an accessory building if it is less than 150 sq. ft in size,
  • erect gates, fences, walls, hedges or any enclosure that is not more than 3 ft. in height in front yards and not more than 6 ft. in height in all other yards,
  • the construction of a temporary structure that is required in connection with operations,
  • signs in a residential district which are less than 2 sq. ft. in area,
  • deck and patio construction that is uncovered and meets various yard requirements,
  • carry out works of maintenance or repair provided that NO structural alterations or major renovations are undertaken (ie. painting, carpet, etc.)

Any questions about whether or not a development permit is required should be directed to the Development Officer.

By-Law No. 997 – Land Use Bylaw



The Town of Milk River also requires that pet owners purchase animal licenses for all dogs and cats. These licenses ensure that the ownership of an animal can be determined, and that the safety of the animal is ensured.

Please Note: Pitbull Terriers, Staffordshire, Pitbull Terriers, American Staffordshire Terrier,American Pit Bull Terrier or a dog that has an appearance and physical characteristics that are substantially similar to any of the aforementioned dogs are prohibited in the Town of Milk River.