Legislative & Legal

To effectively govern a municipality, a Council requires legislative support to ensure compliance with various legislation, and to meet its various corporate responsibilities. The Administration provides services such as the preparation and maintenance of bylaws, agendas, minutes, contracts, leases, legal advertisements and notices, conducting of all municipal elections, provision of legislative and legal advice to council and staff regarding the municipality’s legal rights and obligations, co-ordination of insurance programs, risk management, occupational health and safety, and various other statutory responsibilities.  As well, as of October 1, 1999 all Alberta Municipalities are responsible for complying with the Province of Alberta’s Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (FOIPP). The Town Administration, through the Town’s FOIPP Officer, is responsible for administering the provisions of this Act for the Town. The FOIPP Act aims to strike a balance between the public’s right to know and an individual’s right to privacy, based on two essential principles: the right to access information and the right to privacy.


The Town of Milk River is committed to complying with all relevant legislation, and ensures that privacy principles are adhered to for the collection, use, retention and disclosure of personal information as it applies to municipal programs, software, operations and procedures. The Town of Milk River will also collect only the minimal personal information necessary for the operation of municipal programs and/or services in accordance with privacy legislation. Personal information is retained only as long as it is required to meet legislative or operational requirements. The municipality strives to keep personal information as accurate and up-to-date as possible, it is however the responsibility of the party who supplied the information to advise the Town when changes are required – such as a change of name, address or phone number.


For further information about Privacy or FOIPP in the Town of Milk River, please contact the Town Administration. Please note that a form and fee may be required for some requests, although most requests can be handled informally.